Home Programs Community Supervision Probation

Probation

The Bureau of Justice Statistics reports that as of yearend 2014, adults on probation accounted for more than half of the entire corrections population in the U.S.—a trend that has remained unchanged for the past decade. 

Electronic monitoring has become a staple in many probation programs. However, while it was once used primarily as a sanction or punishment, electronic monitoring technology is now seen as beneficial for communities and probationary offenders alike. This rapidly growing practice provides accountability and supervision at a greatly reduced cost, and it has been proven to actually improve outcomes for those under probation supervision.

Only SCRAM Systems provides integrated OPTIONS in alcohol and location monitoring for the ever-growing caseload of probationers in the U.S.

SCRAM in Probation Programs

The SCRAM Systems monitoring technologies are used in hundreds of probation programs around the country. Many communities rightly see technology-supervised probation as a way to reduce costs while maintaining public safety. Estimates from the U.S. Department of Justice show that 1/3 of offenders supervised in the community each year with electronic monitoring would have otherwise been incarcerated. The average cost of supervising a probationer in 2008: $3.42 a day. The average daily cost of a prison inmate is 20 times higher, at $78.95.

But electronic monitoring of probationers isn’t just a trend to save money. According to a 2011 study funded by the National Institute of Justice, “monitoring significantly reduces the likelihood of failure under community supervision.”

SCRAM GPS and SCRAM House Arrest provide an additional level of supervision and support to help offenders fulfill the requirements of their release, such as abiding by restrictive orders and curfew requirements. And SCRAM Continuous Alcohol Monitoring is the only monitoring technology proven to support long-term behavior change in serious, alcohol-involved offenders.

Case Study

SCRAM CAM Eases High DUI Probation Caseloads in Pend Oreille County

Within the Pend Oreille County Probation Department, caseloads can range from 400 to 800 per probation officer. About 75% of all cases at the misdemeanor level supervised by county probation are DUIs or assaults (primarily alcohol-fueled), while the remaining 25% can also be alcohol-related, such as minors in possession or theft. Struggling to provide adequate defendant supervision with such high-volume caseloads, the county turned to SCRAM CAM to support its program. 

Read More

Probation Statistics

  • In 2014, more than 3.8 million people were on probation in the U.S.
  • The average length of time on probation is 22 months
  • Between 2002 and 2009, 33.8% of probationers were diagnosed with alcohol dependence or abuse issues
  • 15% of those under probation supervision are there for a DWI offense
  • Between 2007 and 2014, 88% of the decrease in the correctional population was attributed to a decline in the probation population.
SCRAM Program Statistics

Sobering Up Blog

“Place Of Last Drink” Helps Identify DUI Hot Spots

An increasing number of counties and states have launched databases to track where DUI offenders downed their last drink before getting behind the wheel, and supporters say the information is helping communities reduce drunk driving.

SCRAM in the News

Repeat Drunk Drivers with SCRAM Anklets in Lancaster County Avoid Drinking

Repeat drunk drivers in Lancaster County wearing alcohol-detection anklets rarely have a drink, recently-released data shows. In fact, only 11 of more than 500 individuals who wore SCRAM anklets under the county’s DUI Repeat Offender Program (DROP) last year violated by having a drink.

Client Voices

SCRAM CAM Testimonial

Hear Dennis talk about his struggles with alcohol and how SCRAM CAM helped him get his life back on track.