Hardcore Drunk Drivers
The Hardcore Drunk Driver is a term established by the Foundation for Advancing Alcohol Responsibility in order to put a tangible face to the commonalities of the most dangerous drivers on the road: repeat, high BAC, alcohol-dependent drivers who drink and drive again and again.
Hardcore Drunk Drivers are 380 times more likely to be involved in a fatal motor vehicle crash than drivers who have not been drinking and contribute to 58% of all alcohol-related fatalities. With a higher chance of recidivism and oftentimes alcohol dependent, these drunk and impaired drivers pose serious risks while on the road and need more intensive interventions to produce true behavior change.
Who is the Hardcore Drunk Driver?
Arrest and Sentencing Record
- Multiple DUI arrests and convictions (1/3 of all drivers arrested and adjudicated have repeat offenses)
- High BAC (.15 or above) at the time of the arrest
- More than 7 DUI convictions, on average
- Reports driving drunk a “few times” per month. Some report driving drunk every day.
- Responsible for 2 out of 3 alcohol-related fatalities
- Drives drunk an average of 90 times before their first DUI arrest.
- Drives frequently (at least once a month) with a .15 BAC or above
- Is highly resistant to behavioral change despite previous sanctions, treatment, or education
- Has a personal history of alcohol abuse or dependence
- Is more likely to have family members who drive drunk and model that behavior
- Believes they can drive safely after consuming large quantities of alcohol
Hardcore Drunk Drivers Need a Hardcore Solution
SCRAM Continuous Alcohol Monitoring
High-risk, hardcore drunk drivers require intensive supervision and longer-term monitoring as they are often undeterred by incarceration, fines, or the loss of driving privileges. Around-the-clock transdermal alcohol monitoring is proven to support true behavior change in alcohol-dependent clients and works in conjunction with treatment to enforce compliance.
The SCRAM CAM® bracelet is like a breathalyzer for the ankle and goes where the client goes, eliminating the chance to miss a test. By testing the wearer’s sweat every 30 minutes, 24/7, SCRAM CAM ensures hardcore alcohol clients can’t drink around testing schedules. And, with a flip of a switch, optional house arrest can be activated for increased supervision during high-risk times.
SCRAM CAM: How it Works
SCRAM CAM: Compliance, Accountability, and Assessment
See how SCRAM CAM can help fight hardcore drunk drivers.Contact Us